Pages

7.18.2008

Becky's Visit

Our past week was packed full of fun, beginning on Thursday morning when we picked up Becky from the airport in Rochester. We stopped in Palmyra on the way home to check out the Joseph Smith homes and the Sacred Grove. Even though they're close, we don't get the chance to go to these places often. It was so nice to have an excuse, extra hands to help with the boys, and time off from work to make our visit to Palmyra possible. Sometimes I take it for granted that these places are so special and so important to the world because they have always been so nearby.Our visit was a good reminder for me. Friday night we attended the Hill Cumorah Pageant with Becky and my family. Everyone enjoyed it, including me, though I listened, but didn't see. Gerret and I walked around the parking lot and sat in the car for most of it. We went back to Palmyra again Saturday and saw the Grandin Building and the Hill Cumorah (contrary to popular belief, the top of the Hill is actually accessible during Pageant.) Sunday we stayed for all three hours of church (yay Gerret for falling asleep!) then went to the lake where Gerret and I napped while Becky, Patrick, and Nolan went down the road to the Peter Whitmer Farm. Then we all stopped by the "petting zoo" to see the animals (or rather, to see Nolan see the animals.) I cannot emphasize enough how much he likes animals. He got to feed the goats and alpacas and baaaa at the sheep. The donkey must have been on vacation and the pigs must have been made into bacon, but their absence was more than compensated for by the appearance of a baby alpaca. So cute. Wow. Monday we hiked up Taughannock (and actually made it to the waterfall). Later, we took a trip to Ithaca to see Buttermilk Falls. The following day, we all went miniature golfing at T-burg's new course (I thought it was great and definitely recommend it, especially because it is just about the only thing to do in this little town.) Patrick won. My sister Elise must have thought the goal was to get a high score. The baby was hot and tired. Nolan tried his hand at putting, but quickly tired and simultaneously discovered the water which my mom graciously took him to and even let him throw his shoes in and fish them out with the nets provided for retrieving balls (just kidding, I don't think my mom intended for his shoes to end up in the water, though I'm sure Nolan meant and enjoyed every bit of the action). Eventually, my sisters were at least two holes ahead of the rest of us (yelling their scores back as they got them), Gerret was not interested in his stroller, Patrick and I were passing him back and forth so we could continue golfing, and my mom and Nolan had grown bored and tired and left to get ice cream and Slush Puppies from Not My Dad's. I loved it. During the boys' naps, Patrick, Becky, and my sister Olivia, went down to Watkins Glen to see the gorge. Between the bigger events, we played games, adored Nolan and Gerret, drove in the car, went in the paddle boat, Red Neck Golfed, had a camp fire, watched fire flies, ate, and just enjoyed being together. And then somehow it was Wednesday and we had to take Becky back to the airport. How does time go so fast? We had been anticipating this vacation for many many months and we enjoyed it thoroughly, but it passed so quickly that it almost seems like a dream. Hopefully word won't get out that Gerret screams on car rides and we'll have more visitors sometime. We sure did love having Becky here with us and wish she didn't have to go. Now it's back to construction and work and life for us all.




"I conclude this record, declaring that I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away as it were unto us a dream." Jacob 7:26

No comments:

Post a Comment