Pages

8.20.2009

Lessons on the Columbia River

File:Grand Coulee Dam panorama.jpg
I had been to
Grand Coulee Dam once before. The whole Mitchell Clan fit in one vehicle for that trip. Doug, Cheryl, Jordan, Ginanne, Emily, Becky, Maran, Zach, Brady, Patrick, Nolan, and me. It was a large vehicle. We picnicked and explored the Visitors' Center . PTB and I pushed a stroller full of Cranky Baby Nolan through the one-street village below the dam. And then we all gathered at the edge of the river to watch the story of Grand Coulee unfold as laser lights danced across the face of the dam to some (pretty awesome) music.

This summer's trip was similar. Our caravan of 3-cars arrived after a short, but treacherous (thanks to my could-only-be-bribed-with-candy children) drive through the desert. We spent some time in the Visitors' Center --pushed every push-able button, picked up anything that could be lifted, pounded anything that needed pounding, and tried on anything that could be squeezed into. I think we did a better job of exploring the museum on this trip. Thank you to my boys.


Then we all gathered, once again, at the edge of the river for the light show. I had enjoyed it last time. It's a neat story. The dam is huge. The effect of lights projected over the entire face of it is pretty mesmerizing. The running water creates a welcome breeze on a warm summer night. It's just nice. But this year was better than just nice. I observed Nolan's light show experience. He seemed to be under the magic spell of the lights and music. He was quite entranced. I laughed as Gerret moved his body in some pretty comical ways. He danced to the fabulous 90s music. They each had a really good time. I was so glad to be there with them.

I enjoy a lot of things. I'd go so far as to say that I enjoy most things. But I'm finding that anything that I ever enjoyed is eternally more enjoyable when I watch my children enjoying it. That's a mothering secret. And it's only a secret because you can't totally understand it until you are a mother. Then suddenly the shows and the visitors centers, the beaches and the backyards, become so exciting and wonderful to you as you watch your children's eyes illuminate and hear their euphoric laughter and know that they enjoy them too. I'm so glad to be a mom.

1 comment:

  1. You hit it right on the nose. It is a wonderful mother's secret. I could not have explaind it better. I love living life looking through my children's eyes.

    ReplyDelete