Pages

3.24.2010

Sign of Spring

The clouds parted early Friday morning.  A rare thing.  I took note.  Beautiful, warm, gleaming sunshine!  Not many things make my children so giddy.  And for good reason --perhaps they take after their anti-gray-sky mother.  My heart skips a few beats when I am greeted by a cloudless morning sky.

Such gleaming sunshine coaxed me to finish my preparations of the bike mobile without delay.  It just took trading my overly worn seat for my dad's slightly worn seat.  Thankfully, our bikes are almost identical and so are the specialized seats, because I unsuccessfully looked all over the internet the night before for one that would fit my bike.  (Next errand to Ithaca: the shop where we bought those bikes so many years ago)

I made an agreement with my three year old.  If he could emerge from the other side of nap time whine-free, then I would take him to the playground.  Now mind you, I was itching to get on my bicycle, but we had been struggling with whining kind of tantrums all week and that is not something to recompense.  Miraculously, nap time came and passed without much incident.  Instead of his usual groggy, bear-like, post-nap self, he came bounding out of his room, bright eyed, smiley faced, and twenty minutes early with the gleeful announcement that playground time had arrived.  Indeed it had.

And this is where I learned a few lessons which my 43 months of mothering should have sufficiently schooled me in previous to Friday's incidents.  The lessons were:
Pack more than one diaper, for goodness sake!
How about some extra clothes?
Merely suggesting the use of a potty is not enough (duh).

I think I will remember these three lessons for the rest of my life.  Experience is an impressive teacher.

1 comment: