Pages

6.15.2010

Giving Thanks

In prayer, Nolan never asks for anything.  His communications with Diety are founded in thanks and only thanks.  I think I could take a lesson.  Sometimes however, his form of gratitude cracks me up.  Not only does he include every toy, activity, game, person, or speck that has ever made him happy, he frequently gives thanks for things that haven't happened yet as if they've already happened.   For example, when the weather started to change to Summer, he would thank God that "Momma filled up my pool" --even though I hadn't even thought of it yet.  And last week while I was very sick,  Nolan would kneel in prayer and thank his Heavenly Father for making me better --even though I was still laying on my near-death bed,.  And then last night, Nolan said our prayer over dinner (which I don't recommend letting him do if you're hungry).  One mention in his laundry list of thanks was, "And thank you that Grandma Mitchell coming to visit us" --even though there are no plans in the making for a visit.

Is this wishful thinking or faith in its purest form?

1 comment:

  1. Kids have a power within them that comes from the purest form of life and faith. So in my humble opinion, I believe Nolan is coming from that spot that unfortunately most of us adults leave behind for whatever reason or more unfortunately ... forget that it existed. At any rate, thanks for sharing, Lindsey! :)

    ReplyDelete