Pages

7.08.2010

Yield

We were not so busy in March
when we weeded
tilled the earth
and planted seeds.
It was our second attempt in gardening

In March, there was hope in
a fresh start
a great stretch of soil
tilled and manured (thank you horse)
and plans for dedication

Dedication turned to occupation
--except not with gardening
and suddenly I was only making
infrequent stops
unannounced, unplanned for, inadequate

Weeds took over
any spot a seed hadn't sprouted.
Truly, an embarrassment.
The garden had hope only in prayers
though we forgot it even in those

Then yesterday,
we took a break from our occupation,
a break for Bocce Ball,
which took us to the yard's lonely corner
where I noticed some green -- and not just weeds

A harvest!
Small, tangled in unwanted growth,
but still healthy and ripe.
Peas.  Beans.  Garlic.  Lettuce.
The first harvest of the year.

I would be proud, but how could I be?
This was purely by accident.
Everything after March,
when we had time to plant seeds:
A pure, delicious accident.

1 comment:

  1. What a pleasant surprise! If that had happened at my house....I think we would have ended up with dead, burnt plants come about now - this heat is crazy! Have some freash beans for me - yum!

    ReplyDelete