Pages

11.22.2010

Concerning Learning



So, what is the answer?  That was my initial reaction to this thought-provoking animation.  It was not my first time asking this question, either.  I have children.  I love them.  I want all of the best things for them.  I feel responsible for their learning and growth --intellectually, physically, spiritually, emotionally, and socially.  When I peer out into the world, I try to make an assessment of what I have to work with, or what I'm up against, as the case may be.
And I am deeply concerned.

As far as formal/academic education goes, it doesn't seem that there are too many options and each option harbors some fairly serious problems.

1. I can send my children to public school where they will be held captive for 6.5 hours (minus a 20 minute recess-- this fact blows me away), where learning is divided into subjects, where emphasis is decided by government mandates, where creativity could possibly be squelched, where routines exist but are quite rigid, where it is not p.c. to teach morality, where they will not necessarily be viewed as individuals, where viruses and bacteria run rampant.

2. I could keep them home and do my best.  This would require a level of organization that I have not yet attained.  This would not allow for a lot of collaboration with other kids.  I fear that home-schooling here (in the boonies) would produce some social awkwardness (especially if I am a primary example).

3. I could dress them in plain clothes and straw hats and sneak them into the Amish schoolhouse around the corner.  I'm not sure what the curriculum would look like, but I'm somewhat certain creative thinking and individuality are not encouraged.  Discipline could possibly involve lashings and the program probably doesn't continue beyond grade 8 anyway.

4. A private school would not likely provide transportation and would likely be travel intensive.  A private school costs money on top of school taxes -and not just a little.  There is no guarantee that there exists a private school that relieves all or any of my public school concerns.  It could very well be a reiteration of the same paradigm only with smaller class sizes.

So, what is the answer?

1 comment:

  1. i personally probably wont choose this option, but it might be something you might want to look into (if its available in your area)- there is a k-12 virtual acadamey program, its homeschool on the computer with, but considered public schooling, the students have teachers and a principal, and meet once a month for "field trips" etc. My sisters are in the program and enjoy it. My mom doesnt have to be as organized because the teachers do that online, they have chatrooms with the teachers and other students on that subject etc to interact with other students their age. No need to pay for textbooks, they send all of that equipment to you free etc. If you are interested let me know and I'll see if i can find the website and such for you.

    ReplyDelete