These are pictures of the kitten, Rocket (who more closely resembles a full-grown cat these days). In these photos, you will observe him climbing the screen of my kitchen window. The photos were taken from the inside while the kitten was climbing on the outside --trying to find a way in. (And he was crying his sorry kitty-meow cries, but I did not feel any compassion in my heart.)
This is a representation of our exiled cats. When they aren't spending their days outdoors, they're spending their nights in the back room. No, I don't feel bad for them.Our animals have been driving me crazy. Even the ones I thought perfectly incapable of doing any wrong.
Vying for a good sleep in the baby's bed, whether or not the baby happens to be inside. Jumping on the table and stealing food FROM MY BOYS' HANDS. Eating butter from the counter. Making noise at inopportune moments. And that's just the cats. Don't get me started about the dog. She's been at the bottom of my totem pole from the start.
This morning, I tossed one cat out the door while I blocked the other cat's re-entry with my foot. I looked into her sad yellow cat-eyes and stated without remorse, "You guys are outdoor cats today".
They've become more outdoor than indoor cats since the baby was born. I wish I could say the same for the dog. Any time I shove her out the door without remorse, she heads down the road to the neighbors' without remorse. Then I feel remorse for ever thinking I could handle dog ownership. It really is not for me. Except for when the chickens need to be tended in the moaning wind of a deeply dark winter night and my mind can hear the squeals of the coyotes. That's when I remember that the dog is a need, not necessarily a want.
Can we have your dog? She is so sweet and smart...and smells way better than our dog smells. Count your blessings, name then one by one.....
ReplyDeleteMom