It's bizarre to sit at the bottom of a week and try to peer back up to the top, because I can really only catch glimpses. My memory must be bad or selective or a little of both. There are entire days in just the past seven that I can barely account for. Maybe that says more about the way time was spent than the virtue of my memory. In any case, this is my recollection:
Plans rearranged themselves Monday when my car didn't start in the morning. The boys were late to school, Nolan rode the bus home for the first time this year, and my mom generously drove me around Ithaca so I could pick up some things for PTB's birthday. A handful of friends and family came over for a surprise party that night. The surprise was spoiled however, when we sat down for dinner and Gerret asked his dad where the other "customers" were. When PTB inquired what was meant by customers, Pook explained, "the people who are coming for your birthday party". I rolled my eyes. Despite the absence of spontaneity, we had a fun time and PTB extinguished all of his candles in one blow supposedly in my honor.
 |
| PTB eats fire |
The dentist gently informed us that we will be needing to invest a large sum in the near future in the majority of a certain son's teeth. The words "sedation" and "rampant decay" were used in the same conversation.
 |
| yikes |
Nolan went skateboarding in WalMart and wiped out on the third try. I worried that he broke something, but he only sustained a bruised hip.
And we're down to ten chickens after yesterday. The missionaries from our church, who are eager and curious young men, came to help with the slaughter and butchering. I was especially grateful for their curiosity and courage because it left me with the least offensive task, washing out the bird after the un-edible parts were already discarded.
Out-takes:
 |
| our fancy cat gets dressed up |
 |
| a girl and a mom |
|
|
Two things you should know about this picture: (1) our back yard is currently a junk yard due to the destruction and construction we've been doing on our home. (2) The girl standing precariously in the window is not wearing a diaper.
|
You are far and away my favorite author. Even though I often know the stories there is something that imprints upon us when we set a memory down in writing. I enjoy it. I appreciate it. I love you.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed everything you wrote about, but i must admit that my favorite part was reading about Gerret asking his Dad where the other "customers" were! That is hilarious! I laugh with tears in my eyes whenever I read this. Your family life is truly worthy of a movie or a daily sitcom. I know you hate TV, but this is stuff that would cheer people up if it was on a show. Thank you for taking time to write about it. We all love reading it. Mom
ReplyDelete