Pages

10.25.2014

To Mark Three Years of Joy


There are not words to adequately celebrate this girl. I am grateful every moment for her presence in my life.

I named her Auburn Ruth after my grandmother, Ruth Mary Copp and my great-grandmother, Ruth Jane Wellin, both of whom I loved and admired as a child and have ever since.

Often though, I call her Auburn Joy, because really, she is pure and splendid joy.

She is my best little friend, my favorite girl, and my daily dose of laughter. Sometimes she responds by calling me "Mama Joy" and I think: truly, I am a joyful mama. How could I not be? This girl, she has a rich heritage of kind, wise, witty, and courageous women and that heritage of goodness shines through her entire being. She has such exuberance for life and zest for learning. Music speaks to her and she often speaks through music (quite literally-- she sings her words). She loves colors and whimsy, wind and flowers, jumping and dancing, numbers and logic, puzzles and jokes. She loves friends and brothers and animals. She waits for the evening return of her dad (they share a special relationship). She is perceptive, thoughtful, fun-loving, gentle, and bold.

Every day is a novelty with Auburn. She will probably explore, destroy, rebuild, tell new jokes, be tender, create a masterpiece from words or materials, and (hopefully) take a nap. I never can guess what to expect, only that there will be joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment