Pages

12.31.2016

At the Close of Another Year

The past few years have been a lesson in patience and acceptance. It's been a rough ride. I don't know how many times I mistakenly thought things couldn't get worse before I realized the fallacy in this line of thinking. Things can always get worse. I learned that not every broken thing gets fixed the way you think it will.  Some things go wrong and don't get fixed at all. Having faith doesn't have to mean you believe everything will turn out the way you think. To me, it means trusting that however it turns out will be okay. I've learned over the past few years that a large part of my faith means being humble enough to bow to life and accept whatever is being offered. It means giving love in the face of hurt and disappointment. It means finding peace in the midst of tumult and trial. Heaven knows I've become acquainted with tumult and trial, hurt and disappointment. 

2016 had something else to teach. 

It said, "Miracles do still happen". Sometimes the thing that is broken winds up fixed exactly the way you hoped it would be. Sometimes the thing you needed but didn't expect in a million years falls into your life at precisely the moment you need it. 

What's more, there exists a lot of mystery in the world. The longer I live, the more questions and unknowns I am faced with. Miracles seem to happen at odd times. The mending of broken things sometimes looks like a hodgepodge kind of job. And sometimes I'd rather give back certain gifts to the universe in exchange for one I'd like more. But the mystery and unknowing is beautiful, nonetheless. I am grateful for the miracles of 2016.  

Here is my favorite:

No comments:

Post a Comment