Pages

5.05.2008

Naughty Hair

Nolan got a haircut Thursday. It wasn't his first haircut or anything (if you're counting, it was his fourth) but it was a haircut to take note of because it was the first time I really buzzed it off instead of just trimming it. Patrick's first reaction to him was "where's all your hair??" and inside my head I was thinking, "why did I lop it all off?" Why did I do it? Just look at the before photos. It was getting kind of out of control/mop-like on the top and it was getting too close to bedtime so I didn't think he'd sit still for a fancy haircut. So, I just went for the gusto.

The next day, he threw his first real temper tantrum and he proceeded to be poorly behaved for the rest of the weekend. It's now Monday and this morning was by no means a smooth ride either. My mom said that the terrible twos don't start right on a child's second birthday (because I was hoping it was something you could count on). He's three and a half months shy of two and I fear that the terribleness has started a bit early. I believe that "terrible twos" is a label erroneously given in place of "poor parenting" Yikes! I'd better figure out where I went wrong!

But then I got to thinking and there seems to be a correlation between Nolan's streak of naughtiness and his new haircut. Is it a coincidence or did all this begin with a haircut? My Grandpa suggested that maybe Nolan is like Samson. Is his strength of character all in his hair? Also, the more I look at his hair, the more of an impulse I feel to call it a "bad boy haircut". Grandma said that maybe there was a particularly naughty boy in my past who had a buzz cut and Nolan now reminds me of him. Luckily, hair grows back. Of course, I might find out that there is no link between hair and behavior and then I'll really have to face up to whatever I'm doing wrong as a parent. I will not have a terrible two year old (famous last words).


No comments:

Post a Comment