Pages

12.10.2009

Cake O' Flames

Photobucket
I remember listening intently to Ronelle's description of her mother's 50th birthday cake as it burned gloriously with 50 lighted candles.  I believe she applied the term "forrest fire".  I clung to that story, recognizing that such opportunities for intimate light shows do not present themselves often, and nearly fantasized about my own mother's 50th birthday cake.  Today was the day I've waited half my life for and I made sure we had 50 candles and a suitable cake on hand.  I detected some reluctance, but assured my honored guest that it would be fantastic, or at least memorable.  She complied and the show ensued with only minor hitches --like the fact that we didn't count the candles until we had already placed 41 or the conundrum of getting all fifty lit in a safe and efficient manner.  Everything worked out and we had our show --flames danced atop candles placed so close the small flickers melted into one large glow and moved frantically across a (sweating) vanilla floor.  It was fantastic (or at least memorable), but the evening was really for my mother, who is more fantastic than any 50-candled light show.

On a more serious note, I feel inclined to say something about this person who has had a significant hand in shaping me.  My mom is an extraordinary woman.  In so many ways, I hope to become like my mom.  I admire her integrity, the way she works so hard, the way she cares for people, her resilience, her creativity, her compassion, the way she stands for truth, her love of family and of the Gospel.  I'm grateful for all that she is to me and grateful for the past 25 years of knowing her and watching her.


Photobucket
Mom, Nolan, Elise

Photobucket
birthday banner and a little goober saying "cheese"


Photobucket
a three-man job

Photobucket
the cake, pre-candles

Photobucket Photobucket
                                           the decorated-ish kitchen              the flowers

Photobucket
decorations

Photobucket Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny that after 15 years you remember me talking about my mom's 50th's birthday! I hardly even remember it!

    ReplyDelete