Mama is my name. Answering is my game. But sometimes he answers his own questions and the answers he gives are far more insightful than mine would have been. Leave it to the five year old.
"Mama, we see a lot of Amish people."
We pass a horse drawn buggy as we drive down County Rd 129 on our way to Waterloo.
"yeah, that's because a lot of them live around here."
"why?"
"because they like to farm so they live in the country where there's land."
Amish owned fields extend in three directions beyond a small crop of buildings. The first structure, a large home, sits near the road to my right. Amish, for sure. A clothesline neatly lined in plain but vibrantly colored clothing stretches between a metal-roofed barn and the gray, shutterless house. Amish don't shutter their windows, I've noticed.
The buggy is a dot in my rearview mirror by now.
"why don't they use a car?"
"because... Hmph" I stammer.
Do you know the answer? I only have a conjecture, so I throw it out there.
"because they believe Jesus wants them to live simply and cars are not simple."
"Do you think we shouldn't use cars?"
"I think if we can have something, even cars, we should use it to do good. What do you think?"
"I think Jesus wants everyone to be kind and reverent."

No comments:
Post a Comment