The girl and I arrived home this morning after dropping the boys off at their respective schools in two different towns. I put her down for a morning nap then went to use the bathroom.
Upon lifting the toilet lid I found a gift. A tube of toothpaste, the floss, three pairs of tweezers and three nail clippers all sunk to the depths of the bowl.
She must have proudly accomplished this earlier while I was frantically helping Nolan change out of his camo pants and skateboarding shirt into a collared shirt, tie, and khakis. I had remembered at the last minute that he was supposed to dress nicely for the first grade chorus concert he will reluctantly perform in later this afternoon.
We were late because of the wardrobe change and because I had to repeat each of the following directions three separate times for each boy: get your shoes on, get your coat on, grab your backpack and go out to the car. One boy still arrived at the car without his backpack, but that happens everyday.
Unfortunately, I hadn't remembered to change Gerret out of his jeans and matchbox car sweatshirt for his own special school outfit-- pajamas. It was pajama day at nursery school and I didn't remember until I saw Miss Debbie flit across the hall in her cotton-candy-blue bathrobe.
"Pajama Day", I acknowledged aloud.
"Don't worry," Miss Jackie had overheard me. "He won't be the only one who forgot. I only just remembered as I was heading out the door."
She was buttoning a calico print flannel over her t-shirt.
I debated going home and grabbing his pajamas, but we live in another town and the trip would have taken long enough to not make it worthwhile.
Fail.
Fat lot of good a calendar does if you record something and then never look at it again. I let my exasperation drive the whole way home, never suspecting the fishing trip awaiting me there.

Well, that's gross—but pretty awesome at the same time. I hope you didn't need to floss your teeth.
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish we lived closer!!! Thanks for sharing your fun events of the day :) Makes me feel better than I am not alone in this wild ride of parenting. Maylee put my cell phone in the toilet....the joys of little girls. :) I miss you!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing these sweet events that happen!As I read this post I was taken back 15 years to the morning I forgot Brady had early dismissal. I had taken Becky to the north side of town for an eye exam and as I was loading her in the car I had that mom-moment of panic and frantically drove to school to find Brady sitting on the sofa in the hall. The look he gave me made me realize I had failed him and I vowed never to forget again. Oh if only I could say that that happened. Thank goodness children are more forgiving than we are to ourselves!
ReplyDelete