Pages

8.30.2016

Stay at Home Kids

One of the pleasures my kids have longed for and voiced frequently is the opportunity to just stay home some days.  I don't blame them. I remember spending most summer days wiling away my childhood exploring in the woods and picking berries, kicking a soccer ball in the field, and watching cartoons on the couch. The year we got the Sega Genesis, I think it consumed most of my summer. Sometimes it seems that today there is so much available solely to waste time, but the truth is, there was then, too. And when you're a child, your lifetime seems to stretch endlessly before you so wasting a little time... or an entire summer doesn't seem so bad (until you're grown and looking back on it.)

Though I do have something planned for every day this week, so as to create "summer" before school starts, I'm also intent on letting them be home. The reality is, "summer" is rightfully a lot of staying at home.  Nolan likes to jump on the trampoline and practice soccer. Gerret likes to camp out by the side of the sandbox and spend hours creating different scenes. They both like Legos, Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes, and Stampy Longhead. Auburn likes everything and anything, as long as she can make a gigantic mess with it.  She also enjoys all the time she can get on a screen. I've been spending the time at home getting things ready for Sam. He's coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment