Pages

3.07.2009

Animals: Wild, Raw, Cooked and Otherwise

I cooked meat for dinner on Thursday.  It was the first time in 2 weeks.  I cooked it special because the missionaries ate at our house.  We aren't vegetarian (After all, we did eat the meat after I cooked it) but just decided to cut back on meat.  Like way back.  As in, I'd prefer not to eat it ever, but will sometimes for the sake of other people.  I was reminded of this preference when I handled it raw.  Gross!  I could go a long time without eating meat if it means I don't have to deal with it raw.  The meal was very tasty, but not worth the consequent full, unhealthy, slightly heavy, lethargic feeling.  For me, life without meat isn't so bad.

After dark that same night, we needed to go outside for something and upon opening the door, were greeted by one of these:
(the deer, not the angel... this pretty photo is not my own)
She met us face to face.  Four of her friends were scattered across our lawn.  We were all startled.

Later the same evening, I opened the door to take some compost out and right at my feet was this ugly little fellow (probably anticipating a compost delivery):
(Don't ever let anyone tell you they're cute.)  

He ran away.  My heart nearly did too.
I'm going to start being more cautious when I open my door at night.  Who knows what could greet me in the future?  I'm thinking: Cougars.


Speaking of wild animals  


This one has taken up growling as his primary mode of communication.  It's a real setback to language development when your child favors animal over human sounds.  We had a similar experience with Nolan.

Summary:
Vegetables are good.
Close up animals are spooky.
Child is crazy wild.

3 comments:

  1. It took me years to get used to touching meat after I hadn't eaten it for a year or so. I still get really grossed out with red meat. I think you're well on your way to becoming a veggie girl. You Hippie, you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - no meat, really?? What do you feed your family to make sure they get enough protein. I would love to get some recipes from you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even sure what I'd eat if we didn't have meat. So as to enlighten the rest of us carnivores, can you give us some of your dinner menus?

    ReplyDelete