
We talk face-to-face with PTB's family through Skype. It's a weekly ritual (if not more). Typically, the ritual involves Gerret trying to pull himself up to the screen to be cheek to cheek with his grandmother, Nolan doing acrobatics, singing, or making other-worldly noises and gestures and laughing hysterically (except for the off-days when he timidly hides behind his dad), and PTB regulating. I'm usually watching and listening from the sidelines. I feel pretty uncomfortable and awkward in general and being in front of a camera just makes it worse. Especially if it's live. But we like the Skype ritual. All of us do. It's hard to have family on the other side of the country, but this helps us feel a little bit closer. I think it also helps Gerret feel like he has met his extended Mitchell family. He gets so excited to see them.
.....There are definitely some poor uses of technology out there, but thankfully, it can also be used for a lot of good. This Skype thing is a lot of good.
No comments:
Post a Comment