Pages

4.28.2009

Relishing a Fleeting Moment



We've been having weather unlike the typical late-April-in-NY weather.  I mean, it hasn't been snowing!  Amazing!  We have been enjoying it (though I missed my run Saturday because of something like heat stroke).














....
....
So today, the 3 of us are outside enjoying it, Nolan drawing with sidewalk chalk on his plastic slide, Gerret and I reading books in the smidgen of shade provided by Nolan's slide.

Side Note:  The problem with 90 degree weather in April is the lack of leaves on the trees and therefore shade for ladies who suffer from heat stroke in temperatures above 80. 

Nolan is busy at work.  He has already practiced his slide drawings earlier this morning (he likes to draw a little, then slide down to erase with his shorts.)  But this time, there is no erasing.  I can tell this will be a masterpiece.  He positions his tongue in the corner of his mouth and determinedly furrows his brow.  Pure Concentration.  

We're reading Green Eggs and Ham, one of Nolan's favorites, but not so much Gerret's.  I can tell he's only half listening as his eyes scan the yard for something to get into or destroy.  But I've come to appreciate Green Eggs and Ham myself, so I keep on reading.  Loudly.  I'm trying to keep Gerret's attention so he doesn't take off.

Instantly, Nolan breaks from concentration and yells over my loud reading:  Mama!  Say:  Go Nonoy! Go Nonoy!

I do a little cheer for Nolan, clap, tell him he's doing a wonderful job, then go on reading, Not on a train, Not in tree, Not in a car, Sam.... but I guess I need to work on my cheerleading, because Nolan interrupts again to ask me to actually get up and see the masterpiece while cheering a second time.

I do this and am suddenly overcome with gratitude for the chance to spend my days with these two little wonders and especially grateful for requests to say, Go Nonoy! Go Nonoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment