Pages

11.27.2009

Turkey Trotter's Lament



If you run the Turkey Trot cold-turkey, you may feel a little bit proud of yourself before, during, and immediately after.  You may utter some ridiculous assertion like, "I probably could have run it twice."  You may sit down for your turkey dinner feeling an overabundance of gratitude for your body and its obedience to your every command.  You may believe that Turbo Jam is actually a good substitute for proper training.  You may even consider running 5 miles for Thanksgiving 2010 dressed up, once again, like a cold-turkey.

But just wait until the next day.

If you run in the Turkey Trot and you do it without any preparation, don't be alarmed if you wake up the next day (Black Friday in every sense of the word) and cannot move a muscle in either leg without excruciating pain.  Do not be surprised if the act of descending stairs brings tears to your eyes.  Do not be surprised if you are asking your small children to run "errands" for you -fetch a pillow, turn up the volume, select 3 books (but please not the dog book or any about emergency vehicles).  Don't wonder what's wrong with you when you can't sit down without an involuntary yelp or get back up without grabbing the nearest desk, table, chair, or dresser.

You probably deserve these things as consequence for yesterday's pride.

3 comments:

  1. Lindsay, did you run a race? You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. I played in our ward football game on Thanksgiving morning and I don't think I have ever been more sore than I was this past weekend! It was a great reminder why regular exercise is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so proud of you! And this post made me laugh out loud. I can see the favors being done in my own head . . . whem mom's get sick or feel awful the whole house suffers (no joke!). We miss you!

    ReplyDelete