Pages

2.17.2010

President's Day 2010

ƒebruary 15...

We had the day to do as we pleased, because PTB had it off from work (and the previous 4 days) and because that meant we had a car(!!!!!) (fringe benefit).  Our four day weekend had been packed full of family togetherness and fun, but as we entered into our fifth and final day of vacation, we really didn't have any plans to speak of.

And then sometime around 9 AM, my sister sauntered in (looking for a cute kitten) and casually mentioned that she planned to use her day-off to go sledding at the golf course.  And would we like to come?  And would we like to come?!!  Why even ask?  For the most part, we are always ready for an adventure outside.  I, for one, am especially fond of sledding.  Did you know that sledding was the finale of our very first date?  Did you know that it was my idea?  

So we packed up sleds and two marshmallowy boys and accompanied my sisters and my mom on an excursion to the golf course.  You heard me right, even the grandma of my sons put on her snow gear and came sledding with us.  We parked at the LDS chapel in T-burg, which happens to be situated across the street from the side entrance to the golf course.  We piled out of the car and started hiking in.  Olivia led the way.  She had previously explored the area on cross country skis and knew of "the perfect hill".

The golf course was buried deep.  There was not a single green or sand pit or rough, just white everywhere.  Animal tracks, ski tracks, sled tracks, and boot tracks trailed in all directions.  The popular trails were thick with every variety of track while others made their solitary journey across the wide expanse of white.  It was beautiful.  And tiring.  I was trudging along in boots made for my dad's feet, pulling a sled full of Nolan, while the sun beat down on my down jacket.  Soon I was sweating.  I began wondering where the perfect hill was and if it could possibly be significantly more sled-able than all of the hills we were passing to get to it.

Are you aware that golf courses come equipped with some nice hills?  Even some tiered hills which make for excellently jumpy sled rides?  Even some hills that dump into streams and ditches and other neat land features?

The hill Olivia was aiming for was of the three-tiered variety.  Really, quite perfect (once we finally got there).  Nolan and I built a fort at the bottom while Gerret rode the hill gleefully in front of PTB and yelled "again" at the end of each run.  Nolan was pretty adamant in his avoidance of the hill.  We dragged him up only three times and he cried the whole way down all three times.  Even my mom amazed by taking many trips down by herself and with the Pook (who just couldn't get enough).  I can't remember the last time I saw my mom take a sled down a steep hill.  My sisters tried their stunts, eventually ending with Elise flying off the front and flipping a few feet down the hill only to be run over by her sled still carrying Olivia.

It was around that time that we decided to go.  We guessed that it was somewhere around nap time.  Gear that purported to be waterproof was soaking through.  Nolan was a sobbing mess.  Elise was crumpled up, holding her arm like she thought a trip to the hospital was in order.  Stomachs were grumbling for lunch.  Gerret fell asleep sitting up in his sled.  So we made the long trek back to our cars.

The boys found their beds 3 hours later than usual.  It was nearly dinner time.  Remarkable how all that snow and fun (and some danger and injuries) absorbed any concept of time.  We were lost in a winter wonderland for what seemed like an hour but was very near to three.  It was sooo fun.

And that was our President's Day.

Oh! but wait.  There's a little more.

After our boys were all snuggled in and dreaming, PTB and I hopped into the car for one more adventure: A winter hike up Taughannock Gorge.  Can you believe I grew up in T-burg and never hiked the gorge in the winter?  This was my very first time.  --It blew me away.--  If I thought the gorge was magical before, I don't even know what to call its winter guise.  I'll just leave you with some poor representations.


And that really was our President's Day.

2 comments:

  1. So jealous of your adventure! I don't think I even ventured outside that day...
    Some days I find myself anxious that I'm not experiencing, doing, enjoying enough of this beautiful area. Other days I just want to lay in my bed all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many words for me to read in this post (sorry), but HOLY COW those pictures look so cold! Extremely beautiful though. I'm glad I don't have to be there to see how beautiful it is. lol. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete