Pages

9.28.2009

Palmyra

I took the bike mobile to Palmyra because it was PTB's turn to participate in the Branch Temple Trip and my turn to find something to do for two hours on the outside with two little boys. I thought the bike mobile would help. And it did.

We rode down the street so we could eat yogurt and crackers with cheese on a picnic table overlooking the Sacred Grove.
Then we continued down the street to take a bike mobile tour of the Log Cabin and the Frame Home, once inhabited by Joseph Smith. It was a sacredly quiet, sunny morning. I hope my boys could feel that reverence and awe of being in a very special place. I know I could.
The Frame Home

After our tour, we rode into Palmyra, in the hopes of finding ducks on the Erie Canal or a treat from the chocolate store on Main Street. Instead, we were met by a sign reading "Road Closed" and then another and then another. Hmmm, I thought, Maybe Palmyra is closed today? Fortunately, I persevered and eventually met a cop who kindly informed me that Palmyra was not only open, but having a festival all day long with a parade in the afternoon. Therefore, the roads were closed to all vehicles. Except bike mobiles carrying cute children. Just my luck! I hurried up a side street to Palmyra and came out right in the middle of a car show on Main Street. Old cars, fancy cars, new cars, and impractical cars lined both sides of Main Street for as far as the eye could see.
1929 Ford (my favorite)
After admiring some old cars and a few flashy cars, we continued to The Canal. One of my favorite things about the Erie Canal is the path that follows along the side. It's for walkers and runners and people pushing strollers and horses and dogs. But NO vehicles. Except for bike mobiles containing cute children. PTB and I had brought our bikes up to ride along the Erie Canal for my birthday and I had been looking forward to riding there with my boys ever since. This was the day. We loved it. And we did see lots of ducks.



We arrived at Lock 29. Locks fascinate me. Especially to see it operating. Or to be lifted by one in a boat. But there were no boats to watch that day. Instead, I allowed my boys to play on the nub allegedly used to secure boats. Sufficient Entertainment. It's amazing, the things that amuse little boys, huh?
Lock 29


Then it was time to head back. We rounded the pinnacle of the Temple's mountain (it seems like a mountain on the bike mobile) just before PTB came out. There was a transcendent glow about him and I was glowing red from exhaustion. A perfect ending.

1 comment:

  1. what a fun thing to do with your boys!!! looks like they had a blast!

    ReplyDelete