Our firstborn triumphed yet another milestone on his life's journey, which requires our family to promptly adapt. We do not have a choice in the matter. As Nolan matures and tries new things, so do the rest of us by necessity. I'm beginning to realize that this will be the pattern for the rest of my life.
As of January 1st, Nolan attends Primary at church, leaving his brother behind in the nursery. This two-hour block, once per week is the only time Nolan and Gerret have ever consistently spent apart. As they have spent every moment of every day together since the birth of Pooka two years ago (they even share a bedroom), you might expect this brief weekly separation to be welcomed and maybe a bit of a relief for everyone concerned. I thought they would appreciate it, but after today, I believe they prefer the togetherness.
When I finished teaching my Young Women's class this afternoon, I picked up Nolan from his Primary class and headed out to find his brother. Together, we began crossing the cultural hall on our way to the nursery. The nursery leader must have seen us coming, because just two steps into the cultural hall, I noticed Gerret's fuzzy head peek out around a corner as he marched into the the room in search of his family. Once engaged in eye contact, the brothers took off running toward each other at full speed (I was somewhat concerned). Meeting in the middle, they threw their arms around each other and stood still, enfolded, heads pressed together, hands grasping a sweater or a shoulder, while the rest of the room shuffled around them.
In the car on our way home, I recounted the lovely moment to their dad, who then turned to Nolan and asked, "Why'd you do that, Bud?"
"Because he's my favorite brother."
No comments:
Post a Comment