Nolan doesn't go to sleep immediately at bedtime. Never. I know this, not because he refuses to stay in bed, or comes out repeatedly asking for favors, or sits in bed crying, but because of the pile of books I find under his pillow every morning. He loves to read in secrecy just like I did as a child.
As a girl freshly introduced to chapter books, my appetite for reading could not be satiated. I would wait for lights out, then burrow under my covers with the flashlight I stowed amidst my stuffed animals and find the book I had fallen asleep with the previous night. Every night, I would read until my eyes were drooping.
I suspect Nolan does something similar. When I go in to straighten their room every morning, I always find a pile of seven or eight books discarded under his pillow. I can't imagine the arrangement is too comfortable, but whatever works I guess. I always return the books to his bookshelf (located conveniently at the foot of his bed) and every morning, a new set of books greets me.
This morning, he set an all time record: 22 books under the pillow. I really should have taken a picture. You just wouldn't believe the size of the pile. I couldn't either. That's why I counted them. My only thought was that there is no way he slept on it.
So we know what the kid does after bedtime, the next mystery is: Where is he sleeping??
To be continued....
Nolan;
ReplyDeleteGrandma Mitchell used to do the exact same thing when she was a little girl. I would read until I just couldn't stay awake another minute. Wait, I do that same thing now! Reading is the best!!!
Love Grandma Mitchell
Kenney always tries to read but I think he barely makes it through one book before falling asleep with it in his face... (he hasn't taken naps for a long time so he is dead tired by the time bed time comes.)
ReplyDelete