Pages

9.22.2009

5 Minutes

When you're the mom of two (boys), adventures abound. I know. Sometimes, the wildest adventures of my life happen in a matter of minutes. Today it was 5.

Nolan is getting the hang of using the potty. I'm happy to report that we've confidently moved to underwear on a daily basis. He's also happy to report this... to everyone he meets. After doing his business, he frequently stands up, claps his hands together and says one of three things:
1. I'm so proud!
2. I'm ready for school!
3. I'm putting on my underwear!
With his newfound sense of pride, things are moving quickly in potty training.

Today they moved this quickly:

We're painting at the kitchen table when Nolan suddenly drops his paintbrush and darts out of the room. Gerret and I make it into the bathroom in time to find Nolan standing between his full potty and a puddle on the floor. "I need new pants, Momma." No kidding. His underwear and pants are wadded up behind the potty and upon investigation, I find strange patterns of wetness throughout. I shake my head in wonder. "Well, that was the right idea. Nice try." We clean the puddle off the floor and go pick out new clothes, leaving Gerret in the doorway of the bathroom. This is where the intense music picks up. After Nolan is clothed, I return to empty the bucket of the 75% that actually made it into the potty. But the potty's bucket is MIA. And so is Gerret. I call out to the Pook as I make my frantic way to the kitchen. "Huh." Gerret grunts from the bottom of the staircase. Situated precariously on the step above him is the bucket. I snatch it up, only to find that the deed has already been done. EMPTY BUCKET. That's when I notice the 75% ...shining in pools across the kitchen floor and soaked into the carpet of the lower steps. I'm standing in the middle of it all.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! Thats pretty funny of them... I was just reading that to Jordan and he got a kick out of it! Even though I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time, when you stop and look back, I bet you can't help but smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah, what a story! glad that hasn't happened to me...yet. it was nice chattting with you on the phone last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just LOVE little boys!!!! We too are attempting to train and once Drew makes a mad dash to the bathroom Carter is on his heels. So much fun, huh?! I am thinking a carpet shampooer might be a good investment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good thing I didn't ever read your blog back then....the landlord might have had to raise the rent or evict you guys! Just kidding. Now I know why it smelled bad down the stairs...so glad we got new carpert installed this September 2011....Oh well. Grandma Murray

    ReplyDelete